Manager, Software Engineering
This position is responsible for managing and contributing to the building and supporting features of the DrugDev Spark platform.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Design, manage, and contribute to the development of new features and applications.
- Identify and implement opportunities for process improvement
- Working with on-site and remote team to optimize performance (velocity, burndown, quality, successful product review) Unit testing and functional testing of new functionality.
- Support customers and professional services as required to address any questions or resolve any issues related to the DrugDev Spark platform.
- Day-to-day management of on-site and remote developers including but not limited to: appraisals, mentoring, aligning skills and work, negotiating conflicts, tracking performance against development goals, and team building
- Review of functional specifications and other validation deliverables.
- Coordinate release management activities, including alignment with quality and validation processes
- Serve as the back-up to senior engineering staff for releases and other duties when others are unavailable
- Recruit and onboard new software engineers
- Provide technical thought leadership and help evaluate emerging technologies and 3rd party products
- Management of the hosted solution including monitoring, security and vulnerability testing, performance, and disaster Recovery
- Provide oversight and support of non-platform software
- Promote the agile process within the team including the identification/training of the scrummaster, pushing the team towards the goal of a self-managing scrum, and helping rollout best practice
- Other duties as assigned
- Technical/functional expertise .
- Decision making
- Customer focus
- Conflict management
- Energy, motivation and work rate
- Project management
- People management
- Commercial acumen
- Business leadership
This position does have responsibility for managing people.
Minimum Experience Requirements
- BS in a related field (CS, Math) or comparable experience
- Graduate degree desirable
- At least 10 years of web application development experience or 5 years of web application experience plus graduate training
- Fewer years of experience will be acceptable with directly relevant coding expertise
- 3+ years managing teams
- Well versed with software engineering practices and continuous improvement of process and software.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and trends in software development
- Experience with C# .NET, JS React, or similar web framework.
- Exceptional leadership and people development skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills and the ability to interact with and influence internal and external stakeholders
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage wide range of personality types, on-site and remote
- Understanding clinical trial and protocols
- Knowledge and experience with 21 CFR Part 11 and GXP
- Focus on quality, results and orientation toward accomplishing strategic organizational goals.
- Ability to handle multiple, rapidly hanging and sometimes conflicting priorities
Location: Frederick MD